Corrections to the first printing of Building Simulated Aircraft Instrumentation.
An author would wish for a book with no mistakes. Should there be any he would hope them to be small and unnoticed. Quite embarrassingly, that is not the case here. In true Lewis Carroll fashion, this book has three titles. It is CALLED Building Simulated Aircraft Instruments. It IS Making Simulated Aircraft Instruments. It is TITLED Building Simulated Aircraft Instrumentation. These labels are used variously on the cover, the title page, the page headers of the left hand pages, and the order form. The "official" title is on the cover.
- Page 185: Bill of materials incorrectly labeled "Turn Coordinator Bill of Materials". It should be labeled "Servo VOR/GS CDI Bill of Materials". (Thanks Brian for pointing this out.)
- Page 157: In the paragraph immediately below section heading "Interrupt Service Code", "...every 2.5 msec" should be "...every 0.8 msec".
- Page 57: Pin 16 of the L293D is shown connected to Movement power which is roughly 12 volts. Pin 16 supplies power to the logic portion of the chip. There are apparently some versions of the L293D chip that have a 7 volt maximum for the logic supply voltage . A more conservative approach is to connect pin 16 to +5 volts, regardless of the chip version.
- Page 124: Figure 6 does not list the material thickness. It should be called out as 0.050" aluminum. Page 133: Figure 21 is drawn with the left mounting hole slightly to the left of its correct position. This is a illustration issue only. The dimensions printed on the drawing are correct.
- Page 137: Figure 27 incorrectly lists the thickness of the light diffuser as 7/32". It should be 1/4". Page 122: Figure 4 does not have a length shown for the adjuster shaft. The length will depend on what knob you are using. Eight tens of an inch is a good start, however.
- Page 138: The two 9/64" holes to either side of the center hole on the circuit deck should not be there. These two holes should be on the roll bushing deck in the same figure.
- Page 148: In figure 8 the 1/8" and 9/64" dimensions for lower for holes are swapped. The two lowest holes should be 1/8" in diameter while the two slightly higher holes should be 9/64".
- Page 149: In Figure 9 the two 7/64" holes nearest the center are each missing a position dimension which is 2.37".
- Firmware issue: This is not an error in the book, but you will now get an error (or several) when you assemble the firmware using the current version of Microchip MPLAB. The new versions from Microchip now have tighter control over memory allocation in the micro controller. This is implemented in a linker file that names memory regions and optionally restricts access to them. You will have to change the default settings in the linker file. You should be able to remove the PROTECT flag for the Vector Page definition and have the code assemble.
- Page 175: About 16 lines down the page there is the line: "movlw 0x02A" It should be "movlw 0x029".
- Page 199: The next to last sentence on the page should be: "The 1K resistors can be replaced with 10K units"
- Page 254: The four 7/32" holes in the front bezel should be 7/64". Page 256: On the motor deck 1 drawing, the horizontal position dimension of the 3/8" hole should be 2.08".
- Page 299: In table 1 the length of the 5/32" diameter tubing in the outer main shaft is incorrectly listed a 0.50". It should be 0.40".
- Page 312: On the rear gear deck drawing the two 7/64" mounting holes are drawn in the wrong position. They should be lined up with the 0.5" mark.